2 minutes - Article
A lease is a contract between a landlord and the tenant (you) that sets out the rules for your apartment or suite rental.
When you agree to live in an apartment or suite, as the tenant, you will likely have to sign a lease with the landlord. It is very important to read the lease and understand the rules in it. The types of information in the lease usually include:
- Names of who will live there and for how long
- Rent amount and when it is due
- Amount of the security deposit
- Any utilities like power and cable that may, or may not be, included in rent
- Information about pets, whether they are allowed and what the pet deposit may be
- Responsibilities for any repairs or maintenance
- Insurance requirements
Make sure you read your lease and understand what you are agreeing to! Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask your supports for help. Understanding your lease is very important in order to have a stable and safe place to live.