3 minutes - Video
Comfort food recipe that's way better than out of the box.
Watch the video and follow the recipe. Keep working on your kitchen skills with an old favorite from The Basic Shelf Cookbook.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 tbsp margarine or butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
- Turn on stove to high heat. Add about 4 cups (1 L) of water to a large saucepan and heat until it boils. Add the elbow macaroni. Starting from the time the water boils again, cook for about 10 minutes, stirring several times. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine or butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour and mustard. Add milk slowly, stirring all the time. Cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- Turn stove to low heat. Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
Add drained macaroni. Mix gently. Stir over low heat until mixture is hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
(photo credit: www.cpha.ca)