Support and Financial Assistance Agreement (SFAA)


5 minutes - Article

What do I need to know?

What is a SFAA?

The SFAA is intended to assist young adults who have been involved with intervention services plan for adulthood. Children’s Services (CS) recognizes that young adults who are given supports and are able to develop significant relationships are likely to do better in their adulthood.

How do I access a SFAA?

Once a young adult is 18 years old, they are no longer in the custody or under the guardianship of the director. To qualify for a SFAA you must be under 24, and before turning 18 you were subject to:

  • a Permanent Guardianship Order
  • a Permanent Guardianship Agreement
  • a Temporary Guardianship Order
  • a Custody Agreement with Youth
  • Enhancement Agreement with Youth

What services may be provided with a SFAA?

  • support from a caseworker including planning to ensure that you can develop significant connections to the people important to you who can support you throughout adulthood
  • any services required to help you develop the skills needed for day-to-day life
  • financial assistance to meet the necessities of life
  • counselling
  • living accommodations

The following services may only be accessed between the ages of 18 and 20 years:

  • financial assistance related to training and education
  • health benefits

The supports provided to you as part of a SFAA agreement are part of the ongoing discussion between you, your worker and, your formal and informal support network. You and your worker develop a Transition to Independence Plan that is specifically for you and addresses your needs. This ensures that you have the best possible transition from being a child in care to becoming an adult.

SFAA agreements are flexible and collaborative to respect differences between young adults and to best suit your situation and needs. The goal of CS is to ensure that you are able to successfully move from being in care to adulthood. This means that you have a chance to develop strong connections to:

  • family
  • community
  • spirituality
  • goals for your education
  • health
  • viable financial supports

What adult services are available for me after SFAA?

Your worker will help you develop a Transition to Independence Plan for moving into adulthood. This could include linking you to adult services for employment, education, financial assistance, and health insurance. Your worker should also be talking to you about your Registered Education Saving Plan (RESP), the Advancing Futures Bursary, and giving you your identification documents like your Indian status card, health card, social insurance card, and birth certificate. Your worker may also keep copies of these identification documents, in case you need them later.

What can I do if I'm not approved for a SFAA?

If you are not approved for a SFAA you should talk to your worker and they will explain to you why you did not qualify. If you still have questions that your worker cannot answer then you can also talk to their boss (supervisor). You have the right to ask for an Administrative Review of the decision. If you are still denied and feel that you qualify for a SFAA you can appeal this decision. You can also contact the Office of the Child and Youth Advocate (OCYA) if you have been denied a SFAA.

Related Resources